Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is a new Community Choice Aggregation/Joint Powers Authority formed to provide electricity services to retail customers in Southern California. With 31 member agencies, CPA will be the largest CCA in California and 5th largest electric utility in the State, serving over three million residents and businesses though more than one million customer accounts.
CPA uses its market power to advance clean energy goals in a way that adheres to the local priorities of its member agencies. To further this mission, CPA is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented team member to provide resource planning and project management support to CPA staff, under the supervision of the Director of Power Planning and Procurement.
This is a challenging opportunity to play a key role in restructuring Southern California’s energy market to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide local choice in energy supply and services. To be successful you must:
• Have high attention to detail with strong organizational skills
• Have strong project management skills
• Handle multiple priorities to meet deadlines and escalate key issues
• Work accurately and swiftly under pressure
• Demonstrate good judgement and integrity
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing and have the ability to translate complex technical
information into non-technical language
• Have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
• Have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment
The Resource Planner will be responsible for providing support to CPA’s resource planning and energy supply portfolio and procurement efforts. Key duties include:
• Resource Planning: Build and maintain long-term resource planning tool for the development of internal and regulatory-mandated integrated resource plans.
• Price Forecasting: Analyze trends in electric and natural gas markets. Maintain long-term price
forecasts for energy, resource adequacy, environmental products, inflation, and other key planning assumptions.
• Load Forecasting: Support quantitative assessment of local programs and key inputs for load
forecasting, including developing and maintaining assumptions and assumptions for behind-the meter generation, energy efficiency, demand response, and transportation and building
electrification. Coordinate with CPA’s third-party load forecast provider to validate CPA load
forecasts and scenarios.
• Compliance and regulatory support: Serve as subject matter expert for key compliance and
planning regulatory proceedings related to energy market planning.
• Contract Valuation: Assist with the administration of long-term RFO processes, including intake, evaluation, and QC of proposals. Build and maintain long-term valuation tool for renewable and storage offers, including RFO and unsolicited proposals.
• Procurement Systems Management: Work with IT consultants and software vendors to select,
build, and maintain critical procurement functions, including deal capture, portfolio risk analysis, load management, and contract management systems.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated experience in CAISO and North American electrical and gas markets
• Demonstrated experience with financial and/or quantitative analysis, including forecasting and
performing cost/benefit and trend analyses
• Demonstrated experience with production simulation and statistical forecasting modeling, trading software, and other procurement software and systems
• Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and ability to build reports and work with large volumes of data
Start Date: ASAP
Salary and Benefits: CPA offers competitive salaries benchmarked against other CCAs and public agencies. Benefits include health care, a 401(k)-type match program for retirement, and progressive paid vacation/sick leave policies. This is not a civil service position.
Location: Downtown Los Angeles.
Culture: CPA fosters a culture of open communication, responsibility, and intellectual curiosity. As a small team seeking to build the largest CCA in California, high levels of trust and mission alignment will be key to individual and team success.
Commitment to Diversity: CPA is made up of geographically and socioeconomically diverse members and intends to build a staff reflecting that diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for all positions.
How to Apply: Candidates should send a resume with 3 references to email@example.com. A succinct and well-written cover letter is encouraged.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org