Applied STEM learning for our rapidly changing world
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Founded in 2006, the One8 Foundation’s mission is to accelerate and bolster the success of nonprofit organizations with the highest potential to achieve breakthrough results in the foundation’s issue areas. The One8 Foundation (One8) does this by pursuing a venture philanthropy approach – identifying highly promising grantees to support with meaningful
funding and deep strategic engagement. Supporting nonprofit organizations in both the United States and Israel, the foundation’s model combines grant‐making and pro‐bono consulting with key strategic grantees.
The Foundation has a significant education portfolio with the objective of ensuring that classroom education truly prepares students to be successful in a rapidly changing high tech world. The Foundation supports proven STEM and applied learning programming that authentically and rigorously helps students apply what they learn to solve real world
problems, amplifying both the learning and relevance of their education. In 2016, the One8 Foundation launched an internal team called Mass STEM Hub (MSH) tasked with scaling and supporting specific grantee organizations focused on applied learning and STEM education. Mass STEM Hub partners with Massachusetts schools to support the high‐quality implementation of premier STEM and applied learning programing that engages students and prepares them for college and 21st century careers.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
A central piece of the One8 Foundation and Mass STEM Hub’s work is to ensure more students across the Commonwealth have access to high‐quality applied learning – where students learn critical, relevant knowledge and skills and then apply them to a real‐world problem – through our non‐profit partners (e.g., Project Lead The Way, ST Math, and OpenSciEd). We fundamentally believe that applied learning is critical for student engagement, understanding, and developing a vision for their future. Through implementing a compelling and creative marketing communications plan, the Marketing Associate will drive awareness, interest and support for applied learning, the specific programs we support and the complementary student‐ and educator‐facing programming Mass STEM Hub offers.
The Marketing Associate will be responsible for marketing the education initiatives of the One8 Foundation’s Mass STEM Hub group. Reporting to the Director of Partnerships & Communications, the Marketing Associate will play a critical role in achieving MSH’s marketing and communications strategy – crafting external communications aligned to our messaging
priorities and stakeholder audiences, developing and executing public relations initiatives, owning our social media presence, developing compelling collateral, and maintaining our website and other digital assets. The Marketing Associate will identify big and small opportunities where marketing can help the team achieve its goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Develops and executes external communications to ensure consistent and authentic voice aligned to our key messages delivering timely, compelling information to constituents (e.g., teachers, school/district leaders, industry partners)
- Works with the team members to solicit content for and develop Mass STEM Hub’s semi‐regular communications to our community
- Utilizes technology to differentiate by audience (e.g., by program – PLTW, OSE, ST Math and by audience – teacher, leader, industry partner)
- Drives higher participation and engagement rates in MSH in‐person and virtual programming and events through creating and disseminating compelling communication
- Works with Partnerships & Communications Director to develop and implement communication strategy including –email, press releases, news blasts ‐‐ for our education community to build engagement with MSH and one another
- Develops a deep understanding of our key stakeholders’ attitudes, interests, and concerns (teachers, students, and industry partners) so communications are relevant and persuasive by spending time in schools with the Teaching & Learning team, creating and managing student and teacher panels/ research as needed
- Manages communications for our industry partner and volunteer community to build affiliation and drive
- Identifies and pursues public relations opportunities to raise awareness and action aligned with achieving MSH goal
- Creates opportunities for marketing to raise awareness and action among educators, families, students and industry partners for what is needed for students to be successful in the future world of work.
Develops collateral and video projects to support MSH program goals
- Identifies where collateral and marketing assets are needed and manages an internal process to solicit and prioritize
collateral and video needs from the team
- Develops collateral content with internal and external partners
- Directly designs collateral (e.g., flyers, school banners, student award certificates)
- Identifies and manages external design providers for more complex collateral (e.g., student‐facing posters, program
collateral for educators) and design templates for repeated use
- Quarterbacks MSH video projects, taking the lead on idea generation, storyboarding, filming, and editing either
through an outside consultant/firm or by managing a student intern
- Curates and updates an easy‐to‐use library of video/photography for the team to access
Crafts and manages Mass STEM Hub’s social media presence and other PR activities to advance the brands of One8/MSH, industry partners and programs brands.
- Develops and manages MSH’s social media calendar with input from teammates
o Seeks student & educator content ideas from the teaching & learning team
o Coordinates with the Partnerships & Communication Director to understand if/how industry and higher education partners want/need to be represented across our social channels
o Interfaces with industry partner marketing personnel
- Writes effective copy for social posts and designs compelling graphics to reinforce and enhance our messages
- Proactively manages our social media, engaging our schools, educators and industry on social media, initiating and
responding posts and celebrates their work, creating and maintaining lists.
- Develops thoughtful campaigns around our events, programming, and other opportunities (e.g., teacher
appreciation week, computer science week)
- Interfaces with the press to secure coverage of our work, particularly student programming, by crafting and sharing
press releases, managing press at events, and building relationships with media outlets
- Proactively works with Teaching & Learning team to identify content from classrooms to highlight in communications, social media, and PR efforts
Leads the ongoing design and content of our Mass STEM Hub website to ensure we have an effective and easy‐to‐use tool for our community driving interconnectedness and affiliation.
- Establishes and owns a system within MSH to capture and prioritize website needs
- Works directly with non‐profit program partners to ensure our program‐specific information is current, accurate and aligned to partner brand requirements
- Conducts (quarterly/semi‐annual/annual) team step back to take stock of the website and identify more
- Manages relationship with website developer/designer for support
- Conducts routine updates to ensure the content on the website is up to date and accurate
Manages the team’s mass marketing platform (integrated with Salesforce) to improve efficiency of marketing
communications and develops and uses effective data analytics
- Maintains and updates data in the system, working closely with the Operations Manager
- Utilize the system to deploy communications with a continual improvement approach
- Constantly reviews and uses marketing analytics to assess and increase effectiveness of communications.
In addition, the Marketing Associate will complete special projects to build out the organization’s knowledge and/or address critical strategic needs of the team.
A successful Marketing Associate will be a self‐starter, creative, proactive, ambitious and an implementer, committed to developing and consistently improving a marketing communications strategy that delivers against goals and takes ownership in executing the plan.
- A minimum of 3+ years marketing and marketing communications experience. Candidates can come from agency or
- Is creative and has successfully brought new marketing or branding ideas to life in communications
- Direct experience devising and implementing digital marketing strategies
- Collaborative mindset, with the ability to succeed on a team where members hold different pieces of the work
- Ability to thrive in a start‐up environment, including building systems from scratch
- Approaches problems with creativity and an analytical orientation
- Is proactive and tenacious
- Is a learner by nature, seeking out experiences, feedback and information to improve
- Brings humor and positivity to the organization and all interactions
- Belief that education is a primary means to dramatically improve the life outcomes of children and that all children can succeed at high levels
- Passion for our mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Salary range for this position is $70‐75K
One8 Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Claire Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com