Website Repair the World
Repair the World
New York City
Repair the World is dedicated to making meaningful volunteer service a central part of Jewish life. We enable people to transform their neighborhoods, cities and lives through meaningful service experiences, rooted in Jewish values, history and heritage. Repair the World has operations in Miami, Baltimore, Detroit, New York City, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh to strengthen a culture of volunteering and service in the local community and beyond.
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Finance, the Controller manages and executes all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting, and has functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable/receivable, cash flow, grant funds, bank and investment accounts, budgets, audits/tax returns, payroll, and reporting/filing. The Controller is responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing all financial and accounting systems, controls, policies, and practices to ensure compliance with organizational policies, GAAP, and applicable laws and regulations.
They work closely with department heads and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to learn how the finance team can support their program operations.
The successful candidate will be a strategic professional who has broad-based expertise and depth in the relevant areas of Repair’s needs, ideally from work experience in non-profit organizations. This is a hands-on position in a fast-paced environment that requires high quality commitment to detail.
- Co-manage the accountant to complete the proper execution of all accounting systems and functions to secure fidelity of data and timely periodic internal and external reporting as the organization continues to grow
- Perform a timely and consistent month-end close process including preparation of monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Oversee all program and grants accounting; confirm that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period
- Certify that monthly account reconciliations and analysis are completed, including but not limited to:
- Balance Sheet Account reconciliations
- Grant and revenue management
- Ensure the accounts payable are paid in a timely manner, A/R is collected promptly, and debt and lease payments are made in accordance with agreements
- Responsible for the execution of accurate and timely payroll
- Collaborate with internal departments heads to comply with budget and financial policy and to build capacity in budget management
- Manage banking relationships, and weekly/monthly cash flow
- Establish financial procedures and proactively implement changes to gain efficiencies
- Set and enforce internal control procedures
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep Senior Director of Finance abreast of the financial status and cash flow projections
- Maintain reporting calendar and ensure that reporting deadlines are reviewed and met by the accounting team
- Develop and maintain dashboard of key performance indicators of accounting team
Audit Management and Compliance
- Plan and coordinate annual audit and tax return preparation with independent CPA firm
- Manage and coordinate the provision of information required so tax return preparers may prepare the annual IRS Form 990 information returns
- Monitor relevant open regulatory issues that might impact our organizations
Required Experience & Skills
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in accounting or financial management role, including experience in complex nonprofit environments with multiple program sites
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting , finance or related field.
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of grants is essential
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, policies and procedures
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts for individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Strong computer skills, must be proficient with Excel and accounting systems
- Strong work ethic and desire to be part of a hard-working, highly engaged and highly accountable team
How to Apply
Please submit your resume here: https://repair-the-world.breezy.hr/p/4c0ff4f367e4
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
Our starting salary for this role is $85,000 if you have five years of experience. If you have more than that, let’s talk. Generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision coverage, retirement matching, support for childcare during travel and much more.
- The process for the hired applicant will include the following steps:
- Submission of Cover Letter and Resume
- Applicants moved forward will have a first round screening with a member of Repair’s Operations team
- Applicants that move forward from a first round interview will have a second round interview with our Senior Director of Finance
- Two professional references will be requested before the final round of the interview process
To apply for this job please visit repair-the-world.breezy.hr.