Website San Diego Natural History Museum
The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking for a passionate mission supporting Special Events Lead. She/he will be responsible for overseeing the load-in and load-out of events, assisting in the management of Special Events Staff and having a Museum presence. This position requires the coordination of on-site event activities, including working with vendors, clients and guests, while continually maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor. Hours are determined on as-needed basis.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Reviews work order with Special Events Staff and becomes familiar with purpose/type of event, timeline/agenda of the event, as well as diagrams for each location.
- Establishes contact with client as Museum contact person in addition to the Event Coordinator, Event Manager, or Director of Events.
- Communicates with Event Coordinator, Event Manager, Director of Events and Senior Director of Operations to ensure all situations are being addressed.
- Assists in the supervision of special events staff.
- Creates a break schedule for special events staff and arranges for all breaks to be taken and covered.
- Assists with the training of new special events staff.
- Provides post-event feedback to Event Coordinator, Event Manager, or Director of Events.
Communicates with the Food and Beverage staff to ensure all contracted services are in place by the allotted time.
Museum Safety and Cleanliness
- Assists to ensure that Fire, City, Police, Park, Facility, and Alcohol codes are being followed to ensure that Museum is operating within the law.
- Ensures special events staff is present on all floors where there are guests.
Monitors the event set-up to ensure security measures are met (i.e. tables are not too close to wall).
- Be prepared to evacuate guests if necessary.
- Completes the Special Events Lead event check-list for ensuring that the Museum has been cleaned up and can be locked up by Food and Beverage staff and Building Operations staff after the event.
- Works with Facilities staff at the end of the event to ensure that all exhibit areas/items are returned to regular for the Museum to open the next day.
- Works with the Food and Beverage staff at the end of the event to ensure that all items are returned to its proper storage location.
Vendor Load-in and Load-out
- Ensures that only appropriate vendors access loading areas.
- Operates Sidewalk Lift and Freight Elevator for vendors if Building Operations staff is unavailable.
- Oversees wristband procedures as vendors arrive for load-in and when vendor crew returns for load-out.
- Stops unauthorized vendors or Balboa Park guests from entering the Museum during load-in and load-out.
- Ensures vendors are following facility guidelines.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of 3 months or equivalent as SDNHM special events staff
- 1+ year in supervisory experience or supervisory experience in a like-setting
- Comfortable dealing with a wide array of guests, vendors, and customer service situations.
- Must be well-versed in the Museum, and the Museum Policies and Procedures
- Must have reliable form of communication (phone, email)
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- If hired a (Live Scan) background check will be required.
- Flexible with scheduling of shifts and willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays
In compliance with the San Diego Natural History Museum’s mandatory vaccination policy, the Museum requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accommodations based on medical and religious exemptions will be considered.
Employees enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. This is a part-time/as-needed position.
Qualified applicants, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or drop in visits.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org