Website HERE Arts Center
Experimental Theatre and Arts
HERE ARTS CENTER
Facilities and Equipment Manager
From our home in Lower Manhattan, HERE builds an inclusive community that nurtures artists of all backgrounds as they disrupt conventional expectations to create innovative performances in theatre, dance, music, puppetry, media, and visual art. By providing these genre-blending artists with an adaptive, flexible home for developing and producing their work, we share a range of perspectives reflective of the complexity of our city. HERE welcomes curious audiences to witness groundbreaking performances, responsive to the world in which we live, at free and affordable prices.
HERE strives to create an equitable, diverse, and inclusive home in which all people have fair access to the resources they need to realize their visions. We acknowledge structural inequities that exclude individuals and communities from opportunities based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, class, age, and geography, and seek to counter those inequities in our work. Through mindful actions on sustainability and regenerative practices, we work toward climate justice, and a safe, livable planet for present and future artmakers and audiences.
HERE Facilities and Equipment Manager – Full-Time Position 2021
The Facilities and Equipment Manager is part of the Production Department, reporting to the Production Manager and overseeing production interns and cleaning staff. The F&E Manager will work closely with freelance Production Managers and Technical Directors engaged by HERE and HERE’s tenants.
F&E Manager will be responsible for:
– Overseeing, organizing and providing maintenance for HERE’s Facility, which includes two theatres, public spaces, an art gallery, dressing rooms and office spaces.
– Organizing, purchasing, repairing and maintaining facility and technical equipment, including lighting, video and sound equipment.
– In conjunction with Production Manager, works with HERE Artists and Visiting Artists, including SubletSeries tenants, to coordinate their technical needs in advance, ascertain and coordinate their rentals, track equipment inventory between and among all artists and spaces, liaise with the artists to ensure safe installment, operation and strike of our equipment during their load-ins, strikes, and all activities in the theatres, and act as liaison and point-person for their needs and problems while in the theatres
– In conjunction with HERE’s Seasonal Production Manager, hires and manages production interns and facilities cleaning staff, communicating and overseeing their schedule and assigned duties.
– Assists in set-up and strike for HERE events, and as needed, may run lights, sound and/or video for specific HERE events;
– Works with Production Manager to install gallery video and sound installations, and prepares walls for each gallery show
– Conducts ongoing evaluations of Production Department systems, organization, policies and procedures with Production Manager, and maintains safety standards throughout HERE’s spaces.
– Creates and updates ground plans for the spaces and equipment inventory lists, for use by incoming artists and designers.
– Liaises with the Fire Department and Department of Buildings as necessary for inspections of our spaces while ensuring compliance with fire safety, OSHA, and other regulations.
The successful candidate will have:
– Minimum 3 years experience operating and maintaining a variety of technical equipment, including experience with Vectorworks, QLab, Isadora, and digital sound consoles and lighting boards
– Must have or be prepared to obtain the following certifications: F-3 (Fire Guard), S-95 (Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems) and C-15 (Flame Retardant Treatment).
Strong understanding of the theatrical production process
Self-starter, organized, disciplined and highly detail-oriented;
– Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both individually and as part of a team;
– Excellent oral and written communication skills;
– Must be able to quickly adapt to a changing environment, reprioritizing and multi-tasking as necessary. Sense of humor is strongly preferred.
– Advanced (Mac) computer knowledge, including basic networking understanding and computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
We recognize that no one person will likely encompass all of the experience and qualities that we are seeking; thus, we welcome applicants with varied backgrounds and different applications of skills. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
SALARY & BENEFITS
– Health Insurance provided with employee contribution.
– Dental insurance and pension are employee-paid.
TO APPLY, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line as “Facilities & Equipment Manager – [YOUR NAME]”.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Since 1993, HERE has been one of New York’s most prolific producing organizations, and today, it stands at the forefront of the city’s presenters of daring new hybrid art. HERE supports multidisciplinary work that does not fit into a conventional programming agenda. Our aesthetic represents the independent, the innovative, and the experimental: HERE has developed such acclaimed works as Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues; Basil Twist’s Symphonie Fantastique; Basil Twist and Joey Arias’ Arias with a Twist; Hazelle Goodman’s On Edge; Young Jean Lee’s Songs of The Dragons Flying To Heaven; Trey Lyford & Geoff Sobelle’s all wear bowlers; Faye Driscoll’s 837 Venice Boulevard; Taylor Mac’s The Lily’s Revenge and original musical and dance works created and directed by HERE Co-Founder and Artistic Director Kristin Marting.
The New York Times has called HERE “one of the most unusual arts spaces in New York and possibly the model for the cutting-edge arts spaces of tomorrow.” Indeed, HERE has become successful at creating a new kind of arts enterprise — the collaborative multi-arts center. In more than 25 years, we’ve supported over 15,000 artists and attracted over 1,000,000 arts patrons. We aim to integrate art into daily life and engage our community’s needs and interests on as many different levels as possible in order to ensure our regular presence in their lives.
HERE is a multi-level performance space, located at 145 Sixth Avenue, one block south of Spring Street. The mainstage theatre, lounge, and box office are located on the street level. The Dorothy B. Williams Theatre, the dressing rooms, an office, and accessible restrooms are located on the basement level, accessible by stairs and a lift. HERE’s administrative offices are moving to a new location in the coming months, with accessibility details forthcoming. Staff works both onsite, in the offices, and remotely.
– HERE works to create a culture that values trust, promotes respect, allows flexibility, and accommodates people’s personal and professional needs and aspirations.
– We value risk taking, acting as an incubator and laboratory for new work and responding to the particular needs of a project as we collaborate with and nurture the artist.
– We aim to reduce the ecological footprint of our work as we support the unique visions of individual artists.
– We seek to integrate art into daily life and engage our community’s needs and interests on as many different – levels as possible in order to ensure our regular presence in their lives.
– We value giving voice and access to as many underrepresented groups and artists as possible, generating ideas in our programs and spaces that bring people together.
TO APPLY, please send your cover letter and resume as a single pdf to email@example.com with the Subject Line as “Facilities & Equipment Manager – [YOUR NAME]”.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org